You know you have them. I can’t be the only one who has a laundry list of things that annoy me at the gym. I haven’t done a pet peeves post since my travel pet peeves a loooong time ago on my way to San Francisco, and I think its time.
My gym, Healthworks, which I totally love, has recently had a few promotions including a very popular Groupon offer for 24 classes for $24. A great deal, yes, and one that has added significant traffic to the gym. I haven’t been able to get to a Friday spinning class in weeks. And as you learned here, it has become impossible to get near a blow drier or even a mirror for that matter. As I leave the gym each day, I think of a mandatory gym etiquette class and what topics would absolutely have to be presented.
1) GUM IN THE CUP HOLDERS. Now, if you are old enough to attend a gym on your own, I don’t see why you need to be told about this, but I can not tell you how many times I have gone to put my water bottle, locker key, iPod in an elliptical cup holder, only to find a wad of gum stuck to the side. Really? If you do this, you are just gross, sorry.
2) Tissues in the cup holders. Not as vile as gum, but my gym has little reminders on each machine, telling you to bring everything, including tissues with you. H1N1 farm anyone?
3) People who don’t wipe down machines and mats. No need to explain this one.
4) Talking on the phone while occupying a machine. . . and not working out. Cell phones aren’t even technically allowed in my gym, but I have seen women sit on bikes or stand on treadmills for 20-30 minutes talking on the phone but not exercising!
The locker room. I could write a book about the gym locker room and the things that annoy me. Here are just a few.
5) How much space do you need? The locker room at my gym is quite nice with lots of benches and lockers. It seems that every time I go to the gym, I end up next to someone who needs the entire 6 foot long bench for her bag, coat, clothes, cosmetics and towel/s. Never mind that there are 15 other lockers and therefore 15 other women who might need to put something on, or gasp! sit on the bench.
6) The locker room is not a cafe or a conference room. Sure, catch up with your friends or workout buddies if you want. But if my locker happens to be in between yours and you friend’s I just ask that you don’t lean against mine even when I say excuse me and am clearly trying to get to the locker behind your bum.
7) A little bit of modesty doesn’t hurt. Sure, everyone needs to change. But do you need to do your pedicure on the bench while wearing NOTHING? Probably not.
8) Stretching on the locker room floor. Ew.
I am sure that I could think of plenty more, but at the risk of sounding like a total cranky pants, I will cut it short. Hehe someday I should do a pet peeves list about the MBTA. I am pretty sure most of Boston could join me in that one!
Ok, let me know, what are your pet peeves at the gym? You know you have them!