Looking for something simple and decadent for your next girls’ night in or dinner party? I discovered a pretty delicious recipe this weekend for shortbread topped with a layer of fudge. In hindsight, I wish I had added a layer of caramel to make it like a homemade Twix. There’s always next time.
My shortbread started with butter, of course. This time I used a semi-local version, Kate’s homemade butter from Maine.
The shortbread dough was also made of confectioner’s sugar and flour. Once I set the crust to bake for 25 minutes, I got started on the fudge, a simple base of chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. .All sorts of toppings or additions make this recipe really versatile. Peanut butter fudge? Hmmm. Maybe later in the week. Knowing how to make easy fudge is a blessing and a curse!
I tested the warm fudge a few times for quality assurance. Once the shortbread was starting to get golden brown on top, I removed it from the oven and poured the fudge over it. Set in the fridge for a few hours, the fudge was firm, like a chocolate bar.
Since our day out on the boat was long and 90 degrees, I decided to keep the shortbread at home. Instead, we ate it later in the evening, topped with fruit soaked in blackberry brandy, a brilliant idea.
The original shortbread recipe was on the Eagle Brand Condensed Milk site.
Have you made anything new and delicious lately?
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups (12 oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Sliced almonds, toasted*
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- BEAT butter, powdered sugar and salt in large bowl with electric mixer until fluffy. Add flour; mix well. Press with floured hands evenly in prepared pan.
- BAKE 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- MELT chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk in heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in almond extract. Spread evenly over shortbread.
- GARNISH with almonds; press down firmly. Chill 3 hours or until firm. Cut into bars.
- *To toast almonds: Place almonds in dry nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat, shaking pan until nuts are lightly browned.