I am currently taking on new PR clients and freelance writing opportunities in addition to new blog opportunities such as press trips and advertisers. Read on to learn more!
Please note, my Pop! Marketing site is currently under construction but available to view at popmarcomm.com. I am available for freelance writing and communications/marketing projects of all and sizes! If you’d like to chat about Marketing, Social Media, or Public Relations projects, please email me: meghan (at) popmarcomm (dot) com or send me a message via LinkedIn. I’m always interested in new projects, and I hope to speak with you soon!
Thank you for visiting my Professional Background page. I have over 12 years in various Communications roles and am currently a Marketing, PR, and Social Media Consultant working in travel, food, and wine (currently Nova Star Cruises, Sonoma Wine Country Weekend, Brix wine shops, and the Olive Connection) and always looking for new projects! After two years, I recently left my role as Communications and Media Relations Manager for a luxury Boston hotel. Prior to that I worked in both agencies and freelance where I launched my own Marketing Communications and Social Media business, Pop! Marketing Communications. I have worked with Zipcar (Social Media, Copywriting), Good Parent, Inc. (Digital Public Relations), Thread Communications (Public Relations, blogger outreach, and Social Media for consumer brands), The Shops at the Prudential Center (Digital PR and Social Media), and Easy Rider Tours (Social Media and Digital Marketing). I have also spent time working in Advertising/Marketing agencies with various clients including the Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism.
I would love to chat about how we can work together! Please contact me at meghan @ popmarcomm.com for more information. Please visit my LinkedIn page for information on my background, or see below. Cheers!
June 2015 – Present
Communications Consultant – Marketing, Social Media, and PR, for a variety of food, wine, and travel accounts including Nova Star Cruises, Sonoma Wine Country Weekend, the Olive Connection, BRIX Boston and Nantucket wine stores, Barre & Soul Yoga and Barre, Sonesta Hotels and ES Suites, Hotel Northampton, Nautical Gin, Hampshire County Regional Tourism Council, and others.
I also guest blog for a number of travel and health sites and always welcome writing opportunities!
Please contact me for more information! meghan (at) popmarcomm.com
June 2013 – June 2015
Communications and Media Relations Manager, Royal Sonesta Hotel Boston
In this role, I am responsible for hotel and restaurant Social Media, Marketing, and Public Relations. I manage the hotel’s online reputation, assist with various partnerships and events, oversee the promotion of food and beverage and hotel packages and more.
December 2012 – June 2013
Public Relations and Social Media Manager, Connelly Partners
In this role, I primarily worked with the Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism on international and domestic press and trade visits, as well as writing press releases and social media content, and conducting research on the travel trade.
January 2011- Present
I am currently working with various brands on Social Media strategy, management, research, event PR and Marketing, and blogger outreach
Zipcar – I served as the Contract Social Media Manager from July – September 2011 and continue to work with the company on an ongoing, as-needed basis on Social Media and Marketing.
CBS Local – I am a contributor in the areas of food and wine and nightlife.
Thread Communications – Social Media and PR for various consumer brands
Good Parent, Inc.- Publicist – In this role I handle PR, Social Media, and some event coordination
November 2010-January 2011
Social Media Manager, go2Boston
Part-time freelance position with the goal to build and execute a successful social media strategy and community management.
January 2011- April 2011
Virtual Marketing Assistant, Netconcepts
Freelance, part-time position includes social media/network maintenance and research, blog development, writing, and various other tasks, in addition to supervising two other Virtual Assistants.
Social Media Promotions, Red White Boston
Responsible for building, executing, and maintaining a social media plan for new wine-related iPhone app and related events and partnerships
June 2008-November 2010
Marketing Communications Manager, Vista Higher Learning
- Manage projects from conception through execution ensuring that they are delivered on-time and within budget
- Write and edit print and Web content, including news releases, brochures, sales collateral, and email campaigns
- Develop and implement social media strategy for customer engagement
- Launch special promotions and contests
- Work with the sales team to solicit feedback and ensure consistency and effectiveness of messages
- Manage external vendors on the design and production of marketing projects
- Solicit product feedback by commissioning competitive marketing reviews and surveys
- Manage purchase requisitions and track invoices to budget
- Research and purchase advertising space
Communications & Events Manager, Boston Partners in Education
- Handle the logistics for all events; vendor relations, mailings, menus, entertainment, speakers, media
- Redesign the content of the website, transforming it into a marketing and fundraising tool which accentuates the organization’s mission.
- Supervise one full time Web/Database Specialist
- Develop and implement strategic communications and marketing plans
- Create and maintain media kit, volunteer and Board prospect packages
- Create design and content for marketing materials; post cards, brochures, flyers, etc.
- Coordinate charity partnership with Boston Athletic Association including management of 15 person Boston Marathon ® team and related events and publicity
Assistant Director, Communications & Governance (2005-2007), Ethics & Compliance Officer Assoc.
- Assisted in planning, marketing, and facilitating over 15 corporate conferences and workshops for between 20-700 attendees in the US and abroad
- Interacted daily with 20-30 clients from Fortune 500 companies and government bodies-fulfilled requests for research on corporate governance, compliance, ethics and corporate responsibility
- Developed and maintained resource library
- Managed website content; researched and added 2000 new documents to the e-resource center
- Served as Editor-in-chief of monthly member newsletter: managed newsletter content and worked with freelance contributors
- Wrote press releases, emails, invitations, and annual appeal letters, coordinated mailings
- Wrote website copy to promote events, created promotional pieces targeting a variety of audiences
- Conducted database research to plan and promote targeted client events and services
Executive Assistant (2003-2005), Ethics & Compliance Officer Association
- Developed new Board training, took minutes, coordinated all Board meetings
- Participated in planning and attended major association events
- Supported Member Services Associate in fulfilling member requests
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
|University of Massachusetts, Amherst, B.A., English, minor: Judaic Studies||2002|
|National University of Ireland – Galway, Study abroad||2001|
|Harvard University Extension School, Writing for Public Relations and Marketing||2005|
|Public Relations Society of America, Building Communications Strategies||2005|
|Progressive Communicators Network, Be the Media||2007|
|Associated Grant Makers, Writing for the Web||2007|
|Spanish 2-4, Boston Language Institute||2008-09|
|Writing About Food, Boston Center for Adult Education||2009|
Microsoft; Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Front Page, Outlook, HTML, Adobe Creative Suite, Constant Contact, Paradigm, SQL, Saleslogix, familiar with Salesforce.com, and various event and media databases.
COMMUNITY & OTHER ACTIVITES
Marketing & Public Relations Chair – Board of Directors of the American Institute of Food and Wine (January 2011- present)
Team member, fundraiser – Team ALLY (The ALLY Foundation), 2010 and 2012 Boston Marathons ®
Volunteer- MSPCA-Angell animal adoption center (2007-present)
Guest blogger for CRAVE Boston, Boston Local Food Festival, WineLife365, and Discover Northern California
Featured FoodBuzz Blogger
Team member, fundraiser, and coordinator- Boston Partners in Education 2008 Boston Marathon ® team
Boston Partners in Education’s Power Lunch youth mentoring program (2007-2008)
Member – Tri Park Neighborhood Association
Member – Boston Cares, Team member, fundraiser, and mentor – Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, 2002-2005
In addition I have created recipes for wine and food pairings for both Travessia Urban Winery and the Urban Grape and written for a variety of websites.