Travel is perhaps the best industry in the world.
I mean, who doesn’t want to travel the world – and even run a business around it?
In our crazy world of almost 8 billion people, growing economies, and cheaper transportation than ever, travel has never been available to so many – and never so complex.
How do we make sense of the world? Statistics!
We’ve scoured the internet for some of the most interesting and helpful statistics we could find that help make sense of the travel industry.
Top Travel Destinations Stats
Where are people going? The truth may surprise you.
1. Las Vegas is the #1 most popular destination in the world, according to Kayak’s Travel Hacker Report (Kayak)
2. Mexico City is the #1 most trending destination in the world for 2019. The hipsters are onto something, and the data reflects this trend. (Kayak)
3. Bali, Indonesia is the #1 trending destination in Asia, and #2 in the world for 2019. Bali has always been great, but the digital nomads and luxury vacationers have launched this to the stratosphere. (Kayak)
4. According to TravelMarketReport, 42% of passport-holding Americans revisit Europe frequently. (TravelMarketReport)
Travel Spending Stats
Show us the money. Travel is big business, so lets put some dollars to it.
- U.S. travelers spent $1 trillion on travel in 2017. (U.S. Travel Association)
- $319 billion was spent on business travel in 2017. (U.S. Travel Association)
United States Travel Stats
- The United States’ share of total international arrivals is 5.8% (down from 7.5% in 2000). (U.S. Travel Association)
- 19% of travelers from the U.S. went to Europe. (Trade.gov)
- Mexico represents 39% of U.S. travelers’ destination. We’re thinking a big part of this may be the convenience of location. (Trade.gov)
Top Vacation Stats
The who, what, where, when, how, and why of vacations. What are the quantitative stats about our vacation trends that matter?
Culture matters. Those vacationers who travel for culture and heritage reasons stay 20% longer than the average tourist, and spend 40% more money. (TravelMarketReport)
Travel Stats by Month
American Traveler Stats by Month
Where are Americans going? This table breaks it down for 2018.
June Travel Stats
- 9,756,362 U.S. citizens traveled in June 2018. (Trade.gov)
Fun & Wacky Miscellaneous Stats
70% of the worlds’ rose extract is produced in the Valley of the Roses, Bulgaria. (TravelMarketReport)